Things to Know When buying a Demo Car
Things to know when buying a demo car
Buying a car is a big investment, and it's worth uncovering a bargain where you can. If you've considered buying a demo car as means of saving cash - you'd be quite right. However, there are key considerations to be made with any major purchase.
We've taken a closer look at what demo discounts really buy you.
Understanding demo cars
A demo car is a vehicle that is nearly new but has been driven by staff at a car dealership for approximately 2-3 months. A demo car may also have been used for short distances, by customers who want to test out this type of vehicle.
Most manufacturers will ask car dealerships to run a small fleet of demo cars – usually in a variety of their most popular models. The manufacturer will contribute to the running of these cars.
What discount can you expect from a demo car?
This will depend on vehicle, condition, and clocked mileage at the time of purchase. It could also depend on how many models the dealership has in stock and how quickly they want to get rid of them.
Ultimately, you can save anything from hundreds to thousands of dollars on your demo purchase - all the while enjoying the advantages of a nearly new car.
Top tips to buying a demo car:
- Time your purchase: the best time to buy a demo car is when the car is close to the end of its 2-3 month role as a demo vehicle. At this point, you should expect to get the best price for a nearly new car with very low mileage.
- Make sure the demo car is sold to you with its registration as well as its warranty coverage. Generally, this will be the case as dealers don’t want to keep the car themselves for too long (rarely over 60 days) but always ask to see the full paperwork and documentation.
- Ask your dealer to confirm that they’ll start your warranty from the date of purchase.
- Look at the spec. Generally, demo cars will be a high spec so you can expect top quality features which dealers request in the demo cars in order to impress the customers who test them.
- Be ready to purchase: you won’t have to wait for weeks to purchase your demo car. In fact, dealers will want the sale to be done as quickly as possible. If you’re planning to get a demo car, speak to Positive Lending Solutions so that you can get your pre-approval and loan in place as quickly as possible.
- Check the car inside and out: this is really important with a demo car as remember that lots of people will have been driving it and testing out all of the features – from buttons for the windows, to door handles and tyres. Check over everything carefully to check you’re happy with it, and if you do not remember you can always negotiate.
Things to watch out for
There are a couple of things you need to watch out for when buying a demo car. Whilst it’s easy to get carried away and excited that you’re saving hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, it’s important that you consider the following:
- Check that the warranty period starts from the date of your purchase.
- Make sure you’re really happy with the model and aren’t simply buying it for the discount.
- Note any wear and tear and negotiate a further discount for this.
- Ask for the tyres to be changed before purchase if necessary.
Ask for expert help
You may want extra help when it comes to finding out exactly how to get a loan for buying a demo car.
Positive Lending Solutions have decades of experience working within the car loan industry and our expert team of brokers will be able to offer you instant access to the right lenders.
We want to make sure that you enjoy a demo car discount with a loan that works for you, call 1300 722 210 and save yourself time, money and stress.